Next week I’ll be heading to Key West for Key West Race Week. This will be my first trip to Key West and to Race Week. There will be around 135+ other boats on 3 different courses; everything from 72 footers to the mostly professionally sailed RC44s to PRHF-C boats like J24s.
I’ll be sailing aboard the Richmond-based J105 Lucky Dog from Fishing Bay Yacht Club owned and skippered by Travis Weisleder. The J105 is a 34-foot boat that will be sailing one-design (not handicap) against 15 other identical boats on the Division 2 Racing Area. The boat sails with a crew of 6 and I’ll be in the pit mostly helping make sure the sails get up and down correctly.
Throughout the week I’ll be posting updates on my blog and when possible I’ll post updates to twitter (@jondeutsch). There’s a few regatta blogs that will be updated throughout the week with race results, weather, rounding orders and where the full kegs are.
Ways to Follow Along:
- Jon Deutsch Blog
- Key West Race Week Website (will have links to course blogs and results starting Monday)
- Sailing World Key West Race Week Blog
- Twitter Search for updates on Key West Race Week
The General Schedule for the Week:
- Saturday: Arrival & final boat preparation
- Sunday: Practice
- Monday-Friday: ~10:30am-4pm racing
- KWRW Schedule of Events (pdf)