Building Lighter Nested Cornhole Boards

Last summer/fall some Laurie, Jess and I started a project to build 4 sets of nested 1/2 weight corn hole boards.  We were inspired by a cornhole board set we had seen recently and came up with a design that would take up less space and not weigh as much as a standard set built with 3/4″ plywood and 2x4s.

Using 1/2″ plywood and some 1×3 pieces of wood we built a set that contained 1 inner and 1 outer board that would nest together with a handle to carry them.  The cornhole bags could then be stored in between the boards.  The playing surface of the boards is the standard 24″x48″

The ‘outer’ board has the 1×3 border going all the way around the outside.  On one side, a wide hole is cut in the middle of the 1×3 to pass a rope handle through.  This hole weakens the board a bit, so we added another strip of 1×3 just inside the bag hole to provide some more strength seen below in the middle and  right boards.

The inner board has the 1×3 offset inside the edge so that it can fit inside of the outer board.  The top and bottom of the board have the 1×3 offset by just 3/4″.  The sides of the board have the 1×3 offset with enough space for the legs of the boards to fit in between.  When the boards are nested the holes & legs should be at opposite ends.  That way there is just enough space for 1 width of legs between the inner and outer boards when nested.

Corn Hole Board Nested diagram

Beyond the actual construction of the boards we had a lot of fun painting them with our own designs.

On top of the paint – we use a clear glossy polyurethane to give it a nice finish and protect it.

MORE PICTURES

Other resources:

Tagged with: ,
9 comments on “Building Lighter Nested Cornhole Boards
  1. Rick says:

hard to see from the pictures, wondering what the leg pattern is for the board that has legs mounted outside of the frame? I’m looking to make a lighter set for myself for camping these nested boards look great. Notice any bounce difference going from 3/4′ down to a half inch deck?

Thanks

PS paint looks awesome too!

2. Gayle says:

Very interested in these lighter weight boards. Do you sell these boards, or offer directions for someone else to make?

• jon says:

Gayle- no plans other than the diagram posted. Thus far just made them as a proof of concept and to fit our own needs/space and hopefully inspire others.

3. Mike says:

Great design, Thank you.

Where did you obtain the emblems for the UVa?

4. ulrich froehlich says:

Thanks for putting this up. My daughter plays a sport in college and I wanted to make her one that had less size and weight so they might take it on road trips. Your Idea is what I also came up with but had not yet defined the materials yet to reduce weight even further. One question is I believe the board needs to be 4″ high on the low end. How did resolve this with a 1 x 3 and 1/2″ ply that is only 3 1/2″. not that to a none professional like me it matters much. I do love it and thanks for sharing.

• jon says:

Ulrich – For the casual playing these boards are used for, being off 1/2″ hasn’t been noticeable and worth the trade-off of lighter boards. I suppose legs or something could be added to account for this, but the complexity is not worth it in my view.

5. Aaron says:

Hey Jon! I like this plan for the carrying feature and lighter weight. Could you please post a materials and cut list?

Also, how is the “bounce” of these boards with the 1/2″ ply and 1×3 frame? Could you get away without the “brace & shelf” piece too, and still not have too bad of “bounce?”

6. Jonathan says:

Thanks in advance! I’ve been planning on making a new set that is light and portable, and I LOVE this idea. Will be building in a couple days